Facts about Mountain Island Lake:
- Mountain Island Lake provides drinking water to over ¾ of a million people in the Charlotte, Mount Holly and Gastonia areas.
- Mountain Island Lake has a surface area of 3,281 acres and a shore line of 61 miles.
- On average, water stays in Mountain Island Lake for 11 days before flowing into Lake Wylie.
- Mountain Island lake is approximately 1/10th the size of Lake Norman.
- Mountain Island Lake is named after the mountain which appears as an island in the lake.
- Mountain Island lake was built by Duke Power (now Duke Energy) in 1924 to meet the growing demand for electricity to fuel textile mills and homes in the Carolinas.